Penile prosthesis is a material that is surgically inserted into the penile corpus cavernosum. It helps the patient to get an erection when they want to have intercourse.
Nowadays, phosphodiesterase inhibitors (PDE5 inh.) are used as first-line therapy in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. However, this treatment results in failure in 35% of erectile dysfunction patients. Other treatment options for these patients,
- Intracavernosal injections
- Vacuum erection devices
- Penile prostheses.
Treatment options other than penile prosthesis may not be effective or suitable for every patient. Penile prosthesis implantation (PPI) is one of the most important treatment options in erectile dysfunction.
There are two main types of penile implants:semi-rigid rods and inflatable implants (2 or 3 parts)
- Semi-rigid rods:Semi-rigid devices are always firm. A malleable device has a central core that allows a patient to position the penis upward for sexual intercourse and downward at other times
- Inflatable prostheses are devices filled with liquid.
- Two part, ıt consists of a two inflatable cylinders and a scrotal pump. This type of prosthesis cannot fully provide the hardness required for erection, and does not exactly imitate the soft penis when it deflated.
- Three part prosthesis acts and feels like a natural erection. Nowadays, three-part implants are the most common. It consists of a two inflatable cylinders, scrotal pump and abdominal fluid reservoir. When a man wants erection, you pump the fluid form the reservoir into the cylinders. Afterward, you release the valve inside the scrotum to drain the fluid back into the reservoir.
Prosthesis infection, one of the most important complications, has been reduced to 1-2% with the new technique and the availability of antibiotic-coated prosthesis.
The pre-operative evaluation, patient preference, medical condition of the patient, experience of the surgeon and device cost should be taken into consideration. In addition, the advantages, disadvantages and complications should be explained to the patient in detail and discussed.
Penile prosthesis implantation is a surgical intervention that gives favorable results in terms of patient and partner satisfaction (92-100% and 91-95%) in the selection of appropriate patients.
Prof. Dr. Ateş Kadıoğlu has performed hundreds of penile prosthesis surgeries with minimal complications and high success rates.